Chicago Food Tasting, Cultural Walking Tour
Fall 2014 - "Gold Coast & Old Town"
What to Expect:
One-of-a-Kind Food Tastings – Our guided Gold Coast and Old Town Food Tour visits seven Chicago food tasting locations within the epicurean hot-spot Near North area. Mouth-watering food samplings, enough for a hearty lunch, are served from “mom and pop” specialty food stores and one-of-a-kind ethnic eateries. Stops include Chicago’s first sushi and sake cafe, an authentic Polish bakery and Chicago’s top rated Chicago-style Deep Dish pizzeria. All food tastings are included in the ticket price. See all Tasting Locations below.
Historic & Cultural Experience – Between tastings, you’ll experience the life of a Chicagoan as you stroll the bustling tree-lined streets of Chicago’s celebrated Near North neighborhoods of the Gold Coast and Old Town. Our enthusiastic, local guides share their knowledge and recommendations of architectural gems, beautiful gardens, historic mansions, backdoor venues, hidden parks and exciting local attractions and restaurants.
(Departs UW-Manitowoc campus, stop at UW-Sheboygan, and then off to Chicago)
When your tour is over, the remaining time is on your own to shop and explore the area. Note: There is a lot of walking on this tour but all fitness levels are welcome. Wear comfortable clothing and shoes. Tours take place rain or shine.
Date: Thursday, October 16, 2014
Time: Departs UW-Manitowoc campus at 7:15 am, return at approximately 9:30 pm
Fee: $119 - Includes transportation and guided taste tour. Group size is limited so register early!
Group leader: Suzanne Lawrence, Director of Continuing Education, UW-Manitowoc (and a representative from UW-Sheboygan)
Delicious food specialties are served on the Gold Coast & Old Town Food Tour (subject to change):
- Lou Malnati's: Iconic Chicago-Style Deep Dish pizzeria, lounge and sit-down restaurant (established 1971)
- Delightful Pastries: Authentic Polish-European bakery serving pastries, pierogies and pies (established 1998)
- Kamehachi Old Town: Chicago's first Japanese-style restaurant, sake cafe and sushi bar (established 1967)
- The Fudge Pot: Chicago's oldest chocolate confectioner, butter toffee & home-made fudge shop (est. 1963)
- The Spice House: World-famous merchant of hand-prepared spices, blends and artisan seasonings (established 1957)
- Old Town Oil: America's premiere supplier of aged balsamic vinegars and 100% extra-virgin olive oils (established 2007)
- Tea Gschwendner: Chicago's leading specialty loose Green, Black, Oolong and White teas merchant (est. 1978)
- La Fournette: Authentic French Bakery owned by Master Baker and World Baking Champion (est. 2009)
Discovering the Emerald Isle - May 2015
Join us as we experience the history, culture and landscape of the Emerald Isle on this 10-day tour.
Ireland - the name conjures a land shrouded in myth and legend, steeped in tradition, and surrounded by beautiful scenery. But as connected as the island is to its past, it has contributed so much to the modern world through literature, art, and music. A visit to Ireland is a visit to the past, and a new view of the present. Ireland is the one place on earth that heaven has kissed with melody, mirth, meadow and mist.
Departure dates: Sunday, May 24 - Tuesday, June 2, 2015 (Departs UW-Manitowoc to O'Hare International Airport)
Fee: $3,850 (based on double occupancy) / Single room supplement: $640 (updated)
Group leaders: Suzanne Lawrence, Director of Continuing Education, and former UW-Manitowoc Dean, Dr. Roland Baldwin.
Note: Itinerary will be available soon!
New York City Theatre Tour - 2015
A collaborative trip with UW-Fox Valley Valley, June 3–7, 2015
In five adventure-filled days, you and a group of like-minded travelers will experience three outstanding Broadway performances. You’ll spend four nights a conveniently located hotel off of Times Square. You’ll see many of the city’s most popular attractions guided by our trip leaders or you can explore the city on your own! Be a part of this year’s exciting adventure in one of America’s most vibrant and diverse cities.
The price for the trip includes the following items:
- Coach and air transportation to Milwaukee and New York
- Three plays: two musicals and one non-musical, "Aladdin" your first musical, "On the Town," and "The Curious Case of the Incident of the Dog in the Night"
- Four nights at the Marriott Marquis Hotel conveniently located on Times Square
- Group tours of some of New York’s many “must see” attractions with Jane Marx
- Optional excursions with your trip leaders
- Plenty of free time to explore
Departure dates: Wednesday, June 3 - Sunday, June 7, 2015 (Departs UW-Manitowoc campus to Mitchell International Airport. Note: Fox Valley residents will depart from UW-Fox Valley Valley.)
Fee: $1,999 ($200 non-refundable down payment due by October 1st to confirm your place). After October 1st, trip price will increase to $2,199.
Group leaders: Susan Rabideau, UW-Fox Valley Associate Professor of Theatre and Communications Arts/Theatre Director; and Bil Stachour (New York City navigator)
Note: Itinerary will be available in fall! New addition - added side trip and new hotel!
Germany - 2015
Berlin, Germany: One City, Many Worlds
Journey to the vibrant, optimistic capital of this fascinating country in the heart of Europe. Behold the drama of a region that experienced monarchy, democracy, National Socialism, communism, and democracy again, in only 70 years. Feel the burden of war, the paranoia of police states, the exaltation of liberation, , and the awe of inspired art and architecture. Trip includes travel to beautiful Leipzig and literary Weimar.
Departure dates: June 9 - 19, 2015
(Departs from both the UW-Manitowoc campus and UW-Waukesha campus to O'Hare International Aiport)
Fee: To be announced
Group leaders: Dr. Dylan Bennett, UW-Waukesha Professor/Political Science Chair
Note: Itinerary will be available soon!